After making ice cream recipes using eggs, heavy whipping cream, almond milk, rice milk and cashew milk I’ve finally settled on a concoction that is easy to make, requires no cooking and is vegan friendly.
I use a coffee grinder to grind normal Erythritol into the powdered version. Using regular Erythritol is good but you’ll have a lot of undissolved granules of Erythritol crystals in the mix though still yummy. I’ve used imported Mt. Hagen instant coffee crystals but I think I like good old-fashioned Folgers Coffee Classic Roast crystals for taste.
Because this ice cream has both caffeine and MCT Oil in it I wouldn’t recommend this as a snack before bedtime as it may keep you awake.
Keto Coffee Ice Cream – Vegan v4.0
By Baron Sekiya
Yield: Approx. 9 Half Cup servings
2 13.5oz/400ml Cans cold full fat coconut milk, shake before opening to mix
1/2 to 1 Cup Powdered Erythritol (if making non-keto version use 1 Cup Brown Sugar)
1/4 Cup instant coffee granules
2 Tbsp vanilla extract (non alcohol version)
2 Tbsp MCT Oil (liquid, not powder)
1/4 – 1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp Guar Gum
Make sure the freezer for your ice cream maker is well frozen at least 24 hours in advance.
1. Place coconut milk cans in the refrigerator overnight.
2. Add all ingredients except Salt and Guar Gum to the blender. Taste test the mixture and add up to 1/2 tsp of sea salt, if necessary. The sea salt brings out the sweetness in the sugar. Add Guar Gum which will create a thicker, creamier texture when frozen. Blend all together in your blender.
3. Turn on ice cream maker FIRST, then add the mixture into your ice cream maker and mix for about 30 minutes or until your ice cream turns into a soft serve consistency.
4. Scoop ice cream into a ice cream container (or loaf pan lined with parchment paper), cover and freeze for an hour or two until the ice cream is completely frozen.
5. To eat make sure you leave the container out a few minutes to soften for easier scooping.
6. You can adjust the sweetness in case your choice of sweetener makes it too much/little in sweetness. Erythritol doesn’t dissolve in cold liquids so if you use the granular version it won’t be as smooth.
PSA for Windows 7 and 8.1 users: Your last chance, via a loophole, to upgrade to Windows 10 for free closes on December 31, 2017. After 2017 you will have to pay $119 for the upgrade to Windows 10. Update now before it’s too late.
If you’re like me and jump into the latest and greatest ocean of software without first checking to see how deep it is or if there’s wana in the shallows you can get hurt.
I updated my Mac’s iTunes to the latest and greatest v12.7 yesterday on its release without first checking to see if anyone had issues with it.
The first thing I noticed was that Apple ripped-out all the iOS App stuff. There’s some good and bad as noted in this post online but what concerned me most was the loss of the File Manager which allows easy sharing of files from my Mac into the sandboxed apps of my iPhone.
File Sharing is especially useful if you’re a photographer than needs to SFTP images to a server from location. So I hastily posted a warning on facebook for people to wait until September 19, 2017 for the release of iOS 11 and the new File app which will allow deeper file access to iOS. I also re-wrote my tutorial on how to create an ad-hock network on the Mac (and linked to the crazy steps for Windows) so others can learn how to transfer files to an FTP app.
All was for naught as Apple was nice enough to retain File Sharing in the iTunes sidebar menu for connected devices. So yet another update and you can see how to get it done here.
It’s still a useful tutorial, it just needed this crisis push to get updated.
The next big challenge is when MacOS High Sierra is released. Users will have the option to convert their storage structure for hard/SSD drives to APFS (Apple File System) for optimized performance. The problem is that if you own something like Paragon HFS+ to access Mac files from Windows you’ll be out of luck as it won’t read APFS volumes. Also I’m not sure how NAS/RAID units will fare or file sharing drives attached to routers.
Hopefully I won’t just jump in this time without checking to see what’s below the surface of this new software.